(of early Norwalk)
[JOSEPH KETCHUM-2 (ca 1648), EDWARD KATCHAM-1 (d 1655)] JOSEPH KETCHUM1, b ca 1648 (Hashamommock, Southold Co., LI, NY), L (ca 1655 "early home lot settler," (Norwalk, Fairfield Co., CT)2, d Jun 1730 (Norwalk, Fairfield Co. (New Haven Colony), CT); m1 MERCY LINDALL 3 Apr 1679 (Norwalk, CT)3 [b 18 Dec 1658 (New Haven Colony, CT), dau of Ensign Henry Lindall of New Haven]; m2 SARAH JAGGERS.
"JOSEPH-2 is listed as a resident of Norwalk, CT 1672 and was in town service 1701. According to Norwalk land deeds & his Will, he owned many large parcels of land in and around Norwalk. He and his family were members of the Congregational Church formed out of the Puritan faith. Eight issue all born Norwalk, Fairfield Co., CT."
"Joseph Ketchum, 6. Bounded east by Ephraim Lockwood and common land, west by Thomas Taylor's home-lo0t and common land, north by Highway, south by James Picket's land."2
"Certain Town Accounts Dec. 30, 1701. Joseph Ketchum, for running the lyne between Stamford and our towne, Itm. One day burning woods, Allso half one side of the pound: allso some rayles carrying to the towne Barres, -- all Allso, a pint of rum,"2
"Will 4 May 1730, proved 3 July 1730; wife Sarah; eldest son NATHANIEL and son Joseph, Exec'rs; sons John, Samuel; daus. Elizabeth wife of Moses Fountain, Deborah wife of Samuel Clugston, and Hannah wife of Daniel Olmsted of Ridgefield. Children, recorded at Norwalk: . . ." (Source: History & Genealogy of The Families of Old Fairfield, Jacobus, DAR Fairfield, CT, 1930, p.359-60)
1M NATHANIEL, b 23 Jan 1679 (Norwalk, Fairfield Co., CT) 4 [see Wilton, CT]
2F SARAH, b 19 Feb 16815, d "young, leaving no heirs"
3F HANNAH, b ca 1689; m DANIEL OLMSTEAD 9 May 1711 (recorded in Ridgefield, CT)
4F ELIZABETH, b ca 1683, widowed about 1719; m1 THOMAS GREGORY 1701; m2 MOSES FOUNTAIN 13 Aug 1719 (Norwalk, CT) ["bapt 5 Jun 1698, son of Aaron Fountain & 2nd wife, Hannah; rem abt 1740 from Norwalk to Bedford"]6
5M JOSEPH, b ca 1687, Military: (Lt., south company, Norwalk, May 1730, Capt., first company, May 1739)7, d (Norwalk, CT); m ELIZABETH RAYMOND ca 1714-19
6M JOHN; m ANN
7M SAMUEL, d 1771 intestate (Norwalk, Fairfield Co., CT); m SARAH HURLBURT [b ca 1710]
8F DEBORAH; m SAMUEL CLUGSTON8
1. Stork, Ginger Ketcum, KETCHAM KABLES Newsletter, (Davison, MI), 1984-90.
2 Hall, Edwin, compiled, The ANCIENT HISTORICAL RECORDS of NORWALK, CONN., 1847, James Mallory & Co., NY, 1847., p. 18, 26, 84, 96.
3. "Joseph [Ketchum], m Mercy Lindall, d. Den. formerly of New Haven 2 Apr 1679" - v1, p16 (Town Clerk's Office, Norwalk, CT: Norwalk Marriages, Births & Deaths 1651-1850)).
4. "Nathaniell, s Joseph, b 19 Feb 1681" - LR1, p112 (Town Clerk's Office, Norwalk, CT).
5. "Sarah, d Joseph, b 23 Jan 1679" - LR1, p112 (Town Clerk's Office, Norwalk, CT).
6. Jacobus, Donald L., OLD FAIRFIELD, DAR Fairfield, CT, 1930, p..208-9. "She was widow of THOMAS GREGORY and dau. of JOSEPH KETCHUM."
7. Selleck, Charles M., Rev., Norwalk, Norwalk, Conn., 1896, p. 79.
8. Jacobus, Donald L., Old Fairfield, DAR Fairfield, CT, 1930, p. 360.
9. Note: "Extracted from Joseph's 1730 will - to son Nathaniel, "long salt meadow on W. side of Harbor which Nathaniel Richards had given (me for Mercy) & all 3 pieces of land near Harry's Ridge except what has been given to son John" Nathaniel Richards was the step-father of Mercy (Lindall) Ketchum since 6 yrs of age." [by Ginger Ketchum Stork in 3 July 1992 letter.]